Wednesday, June 18, 2008

When The Flood Waters Rise

If this title sounds strikingly familiar it may be because not too long ago I titled an entry something to the effect of "The Storms of Life". Well wouldn't you know it, we're again enduring a storm and this storm involves a flood (hence the oh so clever title above...or not).

I've often times wondered at what the Graham family response would be in times of staggering loss. This spring has brought what seems plenty of opportunity to test that wonder.

We have truly been blessed!! Over and over again God has shown me that He has, indeed, given to me beyond my wildest imagination! How you ask? The list is endless but let me attempt to lay a portion of it out:

1) I've been given a husband who is all about giving God glory. Through his father's death and most recently, the loss of the bottom half of our home, Zack has been a pillar of strength. His outlook, at times when his faith could rightly be tested, has been and continues to be, "God is good." This outlook spurs me toward faith and trust that God does work for the good of those who love Him.

2) We have been blessed with the richness of deep, abiding friendships. The love, concern, and service of our cronies has blown my mind. If I ask it is done. Even if I don't ask it's done. I can't even begin to line our their service to us but let me say that it is above and beyond anything I could have imagined.

3) Our family has been a source of encouragement and strength as well. Their prayers and words of comfort have been like a salve to my soul. We truly feel the covering of protection that comes with the prayers of loved ones!

4) We could not ask for better kids. You would be amazed at the resiliency with which Garrett, Brody, and Ashlyn have weathered the storms that have moved through our family the past few months. Their eternal outlook is inherent and without question. Their view of God encourages me to trust with a childlike faith. Their perspectives of fun and adventure spur me toward rolling with the punches.

5) God's provision in our life is also, undoubtedly evident. I really believe that so many circumstances have been lined out for such a time as this. Nothing is beyond His view nor out of His control, and resting in that is where we find our comfort and strength.

Really, I could go on and on. And couldn't you? Circumstances like a death in the family and flooding that results in the loss of your home lead you to reevaluate your life and those things that you hold most dear. I pray that you would be able, by the grace of God, to find yourselves as blessed as we have found ourselves!

Nahum 1:7&8 says:
"The Lord is good,
a refuge in times of trouble.
He cares for those who trust in
Him.
But with an overwhelming flood
He will make an end of Nineveh;
He will pursue his foes into
darkness."

May you be found trusting, and may you find refuge in the most secure of ports during the storms of your life!

And for those whose curiosity is piqued, I'll soon be posting update pictures of the house as well as an outline of how things will most likely look for the next six months or so. Stay tuned for for an update!

No comments: