Thursday, January 31, 2008

You Tasty Little Thing, You



After recovering from a two day bout with a stomach bug I was HUNGRY!! Following a Mexican meal of homemade enchildas, refried beans, and chips and guacamole I was craving chocolate (a common thing with me, by the way). I have wanted to make these cookies for some time since they are touted as "The best chocolate chip cookie". Can I just say one thing? They aren't a lyin'!! Granted I didn't eat a baked cookie last night, you see after eating at least a cookie's worth of dough I simply didn't have room. But this morning, for the sake of my photograpy - really that's the ONLY reason - I took a bite of one. Both the dough and the cookie bite itself were incredible! If you ever want an indulgence, this is it!! These gems are slightly crunchy on the outside and perfectly chewy on the inside. This is indeed the best chocolate chip cookie I've ever made! You can thank me later for passing the recipe on!

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

(from the Best Recipe)

2 cups plus 2 tbsp all purpose flour (I substituted 1 C. whole wheat flour for 1 C of all purpose)

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

3/4 cup butter (12 tbsp), melted and cooled until just warm

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup white sugar

1 egg

1 egg yolk

2 tsp vanilla extract

1 1/4 cups chocolate chips (Here I substituted 1 1/4 C. bittersweet baking bar broken into pieces)


Preheat oven to 325F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.In a large bowl, whisk together butter and sugars. Beat in the egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture, followed by chocolate chips.Drop by (scant) 1/4 cups onto the baking sheet and pat lightly so the cookie is an even thickness, not a ball shape. Cookies will spread as they bake and this ensures a more even spread.Bake at 325F for 15-17 minutes, until just turning light brown all over. The edges should only be very slightly more brown, if at all, from the rest of the cookie. Allow cookies to cool before removing them from the baking sheet.Makes 18-24 large cookies

No comments: